Floridian Nature

Learn about Florida's beautiful and unique nature.

Florida Plants: Poisonous Plants (2)
Florida Poison Control Center 1-800-222-1222  
Keep a Poison Information Center number near your telephone. If you suspect possible poisoning from a plant : Call the Poison Center immediately at 1-800-222-1222! Remove all plant pieces from mouth. Rinse mouth and lips with cool water. Offer sips of water to drink. Wash hands with soap and water. If asked to go to the emergency room take part of the plant, seeds, or berries with you to aid identification.

poisonous chinaberry plant, growing in FloridaChinaberry (Melia azedarach)- Chinaberry fruits are mucilaginous and sticky, with hard, round; marble-like seed. Birds spread seed effectively but the fruits are poisonous to humans and other mammals. Because the seeds are poisonous, birds may become paralyzed after ingesting seeds. Eating Chinaberries can cause diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, clammy skin, weakness and difficulty breathing. This plant grows in the entire state of Florida.

croton a florida landscape plant that is toxicCroton (Codiaeum variegatum)- This is a plant that is green on the top side and purple or dark red on the underside. It looks like a coleus. Some say that you will begin to itch by just touching the Croton. Chewing the bark and roots is said to cause burning of the mouth. The latex has caused eczema in some gardeners after repeated exposure to the latex (plant juices).

Florida floxglove plantsFoxglove (Digitalis purpurea)-Foxglove plants are toxic, although they are used medicinally by those who know what they're doing! Foxgloves produce gorgeous flowers, making them popular despite their infamously toxic quality. All parts of the plants are poisonous if swallowed or if smoke from a burning plant is inhaled. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, dizziness, low blood pressure, slow pulse and seizures.

bright christmas holly a toxic plant for humansHolly (Aquifoliaceae)- Holly berries are mildly toxic and will cause vomiting and/or diarrhea when ingested by people. For children the holly berry can be extremely toxic, making them a strong threat, since young children can be attracted to the bright red color. Eating twenty or more berries may be lethal for a small child. However they are extremely important food for numerous species of birds, and also are eaten by other wild animals. Milky sap from the holly plant can cause skin irritation. Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea may occur if holly  is eaten. Eating Holly berries can cause drowsiness, vomiting and dehydration.

golden lantana running wild through FloridaLantana (Lantana camara)- Lantana is a genus of about 150 species of perennial flowering plants, native to tropical regions of the Americas, including Florida. Pets have reportedly become ill after ingesting lantana. The unripe berries are known to be very toxic and the foliage toxic to livestock. Lantana is listed as a Category I invasive exotic species by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council, which means that it is known to be "invading and disrupting native plant communities in Florida.

poisoinous lily of the valley plantLily of the Valley (Convallaria majalis)- Every part of the lily of the valley plant is poisonous because it contains about 20 poisonous glycosides such as convalatoxin, convalarin, and convalamarin, as well as saponins. They cause poisoning characterized by strong headache, nausea and vomiting, slow pulse and excessive urination. The victims are often domesticated animals because the may lily is a widely distributed cultivated plant.

toxic oleander grows throughout FloridaOleander (Nerium oleander)- Oleander is one of the most poisonous plants in the world and contains numerous toxic compounds, many of which can be deadly to people, especially young children. Despite this fact, it is sometimes grown in school yards. The toxicity of Oleander is considered extremely high and it has been reported that in some cases only a small amount had lethal or near lethal effects. The most significant of these toxins are oleandrin and neriine, which are cardiac glycosides. They are present in all parts of the plant, but are most concentrated in the sap, which can block out receptors in the skin causing numbness. Oleander bark contains rosagenin which is known for its strychnine-like effects. The entire plant, including the sap, is toxic, and any part can cause an adverse reaction. Oleander is also known to hold its toxicity even after drying. It is thought that a handful or 10-20 leaves consumed by an adult can cause an adverse reaction, and a single leaf could be lethal to an infant or child.

Florida peace lilyPeace Lily (Spathiphyllum)- The peace lily is tropical in origin, and depending on its variety may have leaves up to a foot in length.  The foliage is a deep, shiny green and the plant, when in bloom, can be as tall as four feet. The plant is toxic. Ingested by children it can cause mouth ulcerations, and vomiting. A small amount of leaves chewed by a dog or cat is even more dangerous and potentially lethal. If you suspect a child or animal has eaten peace lily, you should contact poison control immediately. 
Follow us on Facebook
Advertise | Privacy Statement | Dog Encyclopedia | Video |Contact | Alaska Nature